Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2-1-1: ENTITLEMENT VS. APPRECIATION

 
THIS WAS PART OF AN E-MAIL THREAD AT WORK. I HAD SPOKEN WITH AN AGGRESSIVE REPEAT CALLER (AS WE CALL THE CHRONIC CALLERS) AND WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW SHE WAS SO PISSED OFF THAT THE SOCIAL SERVICE PROGRAMS WE REFERRED HER TO (I WORK AT A 2-1-1 CALL CENTER) WERE NOT PAYING OFF QUICK ENOUGH, AND SHE JUST KEPT CALLING AND YELLING AT EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED TO PHONE.

************************************************************************************************************

I never will understand the concept that some of our more colorful callers (not a racial adjective) espouse -that someone could yield better service by increasing abusive behavior and harassment. It takes that whole weird notion of entitlement (that’s another doosey by itself) and adds a kick to the groin to try and get results.

I understand the stress is a factor, but it’s like insulting your prison guard to try and get him to let you out. (no prison pun intended)

Why do people feel entitled to assistance in the first place? They call it a rat race for a reason. Capitalist societies are not meant to pick up the fallen. I guess it’s based on hope. Hope that some of the some part of the system is working to help the unfortunate, just out of Greatness.

Before I got this job, I didn’t know (or expect) that so many social services actually existed. It blew my mind that someone could get their rent paid for them and not have to earn it. I lived in poverty for years and never thought to ask for help. Didn’t even cross my mind. I wonder if I would have had I known about it.

I think it’s a cultural phenomenon, where parents who know the system/had to use it, pass on the attitude of getting what you can, where you can, however you can. I just wish that taught behavior more often came with an altruistic reflexive trait, even if it were just gratitude. It always makes you feel better to help those who you know have appreciation.

Of course, that’s not part of our job….treat them all the same, do not judge, we don’t know the story. A good rule, but sometimes an Ayishia comes along and rubs you wrong.

Actually, she didn’t really phase me. But it was a long day, and the last call. By that time I was comfortably numb.

No comments: